With winter just around the corner its about time to think about winter care for those tropical plants – this winter care tips should work for curry leaf plant, banana tree, jasmine plants.
About a year ago I had a blog post on curry leaf plant and had a mention on CFL light bulbs for indoor plants. This year I invested on a plant light and a shop light fixture and my plants seem to be loving it.
I shopped around before investing on these and looked at some of the set up at worms way and similar stores and found these run close to $100.00
With the sour economy these days I wasn’t quite ready to spare $100.00 and ended up spending less that $20.00 at a hardware store.
Here is all you need for setting up indoor light for plants.
- Shop light fixture – this come readily with chain kit
- Plant/Aquarium light
- Mounting hardware – couple of eye hooks
- 10 minutes for mounting😉
Here is how the light setup looks after mounting on the ceiling.
Oh! did I mention my plants love this indoor lighting?😉
Here are some indoor care tips for curry leaf plant, banana tree, jasmine plants.
- Keep the plants away from windows – plants don’t like cold draft from windows.
- If you have heater vents on floor, keep the plants away from heater vents.
- Avoid over watering the plants – indoor plants don’t consume much water and make sure the soil doesn’t get dried out either.
- Occasionally spray salt water on the plants – this will keep any bugs away from the plants
- Spray neem oil mixed with water/soap or rubbing alcohol water mixture as soon you see sign of spider mites and/or mealy bugs.
I bought a light timer to keep my plants on a regular time schedule.
Now the plant lights gets turned on/off from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM – remember plants sleep, too😉